Social media is maturing and it’s links with the workplace are strengthening. Many people know the missteps of causing harm to your personal image but here are my tips for strengthening you personal brand in the job market.
1. Know yourself. This should be the first point on every list. You have to know exactly who you are before you think about what you want your personal brand to be. The better you know yourself the stronger your brand can be.
2. Brand visibility. Make a presence on all the social media sites you think will be valuable in your area. LinkedIn and twitter have the strongest business use but don’t rule out the likes of pinterest or instagram for the more visual fields. Keep these up to date and regular. No one likes an unsociable media page.
3. Connect. Your personal brand can be defined by who you associate with and how you work with those connections. Strong links to many ethical organisations may stand you in good stead. The opposite is also true.
4. Speak up. Offer your thoughts and opinions however you think is suitable. Blogs, forums and messages all represent you. Be proactive with this. Many people appreciate you offering first before asking for something in return. If you offer help, you may just become the name that comes to mind when someone is in crisis.
5. Curate. Market yourself in the most appealing way. Websites are easy to create by yourself. Use wordpress or another tool to bring together all the good things about you. Think of it as a new style of CV. Be creative. You may not always carry a paper CV with you but you can always tell someone a weblink.
These are some basics on building your own brand which in turn can help you stand out from the crowd. And the more you stand out, the more you will be seen.